- presentation - i.e. what details are relevant on product details and product comparison?
- search and navigation - i.e. which attributes are relevant for searching and which one are important enough to be part of navigation?
- internal information - i.e. supporting information to aid checkout and fulfilment processes and any other functional needs in custom implementation (e.g. themes templates and CMS dynamic content)
- Single - presenting list of unique attribute values that are applicable in current search, when selected applies AND condition thus reducing the result to single option
- similar to Single but allows multiple selection, when selected applies OR condition thus reducing the result but allowing additional filtering on the same attribute
Label Body YCESaaS Colour info
- Range - numeric range criteria, when selected applies range condition, which can be presented as range values or have a human readable name as specified in range configuration
Once the group is declared product type attributes can be assigned to it. Note that same attribute can be present in several groups if necessary and it is up to the business to decide what groups are applicable and what attributes should they contain. End result of this configuration can be seen on the product details page, namely product "Specification" tab or comparison page
Note that in default theme view groups and attributes within them only appear if currently viewed product has values for those attributes. So there no tedious work having to align data across the whole product data set. Whatever data is in PIM will be presented to the customer, whatever is not there is skipped lest clutter the page.